Up for Review

So I've just been told by my mentor that I'll be meeting with the CEO of my "chain" of schools, along with the other three ETAs from the same brand of religious school. I did not know that schools had CEOs. I shouldn't be surprised of course, because every time I find out about someone new that I work with, that person inevitably ends up being my superior. Which is fine by me. I get the sense now that I'm like a sofa that happens to speak English. As long as no one trips over the sofa and it can provide utility for the students for 7 hours a week (plus activities) no one really cares what the sofa does or where it goes.

I'm pretty okay with this set up, although meetings with people whose title consists only of acronyms (XO, CFO, OCD, HRM, CPK, KFC) generally make me nervous. Since the CEO never hired me, it would be very hard for he/she/it to fire me, and generally unnecessary as I'll leave in less than 4 months and they're not the one's paying me in the first place. It'd be like canceling your roommate's magazine subscription that's about to run out anyway.

That being said, just because I don't think I can get fired and just because it would make no sense to fire me, does not rule out the possibility that it could still happen. It's important to note that this country actually runs on impossibility, the way the Honda runs on 2 RM a liter gas. The more impossible something seems, the more likely it is to actually happen in one way or another.

I should make a small caveat to that last statement. As I've mentioned before, Malaysia follows a kind of dream logic where phantoms appear and scare you, until you realize that it's all just a dream. Very little of what gets proposed here actually comes to fruition. I've been offering to teach classes for teachers for the last month or so. So that's probably still the healthiest way I can look at this meeting. Even if it happens (which is always doubtful), nothing substantial will probably come of it. At the very least I might get a chance to hang out with some of the other ETAs.

I have class in 20 minutes. I'm teaching the kids to play Taboo. If the last class was any indication they'll be hitting each other in frustration and mocking each other for their failures in no time at all. It's nice to know that even in dreams there are some constants.

-Ez

PS I just read this story about five kids who made $1 million before hitting 20. I was thinking about it, and if I can just get past one small hurdle, I'm pretty sure I can do it too. So, if I was to end up being really rich over the course of my life, so much so that I could build or buy a time machine, I would just have to go back to when I was born and give myself $1 million dollars. Properly invested, that money would probably be enough to make me a very rich man when I get older. Rich enough, say, to build or buy a time machine. With that time machine, I just have to take the original mil back to my old self and I'm set! Of course I would've already been handed this money as a baby if this plan was successful. So it might not have worked... yet.

Comments

Annie Fox said…
Ez,

I guess now's the time to 'fess up. When you were a baby, this tall thin guy with dark hair, a strong chin, and piercing (yet gentle) blue eyes, showed up one day and gave me a check for $1 Million made out to you. Shall I PayPal it to you now?

Love,
Annie

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!