The Truth, Y'all

So today was pretty easy. My one class got moved to another time because it was a "special schedule" day, making me late for the only thing I was required to do. In fact, by the time my students came to get me I was so late that the next teacher came 1 minute later to boot me out and claim her time slot. I had planned an exercise called "careless speaking" (which I should probably call "carefree"), but there was really no time for it. So instead I taught them the word "y'all," then had them practice it by saying "later y'all" to me as I left. Of course I'm just one person, so it wasn't exactly correct, but I'm much, much taller than the pre-pubescent boys, so I really could be two of them if the situation required it.

The time before and after that interaction was consumed by eating (naked fish- my name, not theirs) and reading (American Gods, which I realized when explaining to them, was polytheistic and not exactly Halal). I also got a chance to explain to one of my co-workers that while some American teens have sex, not all of them do, which I think, shocked him twice. Before that he told me about a book called "The True Furqan", a book published by evangelical Christian Arabs in the US for the purpose of converting Muslims to Christianity. Understandably, people are not too happy about it. It'd be like PETA making a veggie hamburger and calling it "the True Big Mac" And that's just bull crap. If you don't like the Big Mac that's your business. You can't just retool it and hope to get all of these converts. They hold the idea of the Big Mac to be important over all else. If you don't respect that, there's no real sandwich anyway.

Anyways, it's about time for me to get kicked out of the computer lab. One of my students just asked to borrow my iPod. Had to turn him down. And now he's reading over my shoulder. Which is fun.

Ah, another day in paradise.

-Ez

Comments

Sarah J said…
oh yes, the malaysian national sport of reading-over-the-shoulder, I have been an unwilling participant of that game on more than one occasion.
only the pregnant american female teens have sex, the rest don't.

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!