Dear Ezra, It's Just a Kidding. Love, Malaysia

Malaysia ended. In spite of feeling like it would last forever, it did not, since nothing does and nothing can, in fact, last forever. Malaysia was no exception. It ended quietly, all things considered. After the fake wedding everything else seemed comparatively tame. I was present for Sarah’s big blow-out assembly and there was also a goodbye snack in Kuala Terengganu with all of the ETAs and low-level officials. In case you’re ever wondering, low-level officials who are filling in for mid-level officials at events that no officials actually care about really do give the best speeches. The guy didn’t really know any of us very well so some highlights were:

"And there’s Gwynne who can only eat tofu… and Chris who is a lawyer and will bring down the American legal system… and Joe. Joe always reminds me of that black guy. You know, that very funny black guy. That actor-" at this point we were all thinking of Chris Tucker, who Joe is a dead ringer for- "Jack Black." And collectively the room breathed a sigh of relief. Oh good, we all thought. Our low-level government official was just terrible at making speeches and not racially insensitive.

The problem with America is that it just doesn't hand you as many comedic opportunities on a daily basis. The people where I live are too conscientious and have too strong a command of the language to make such brilliant mistakes. And it's more than just the comedy that I'll miss. Nothing's supposed to go wrong in America. If something gets messed up in the states, there’s no real reason for it. The cell phone company tried to screw you. Your meeting got canceled and your time was wasted. You accidentally bleached your jeans and you need to get new ones. Life in the states has a contradiction built into it, because we expect things to be perfect and reality shows that time and time again it's not, and never will be.

But in Malaysia, you expect things to go wrong. You’re surprised if they turn out perfectly (as, with the law of averages, is bound to happen at least sometimes) and you’re prepared for crap to rain down on you from time to time for no good reason. The beauty of this mindset is that it transcends pessimism. You don’t look for crap to rain down on you, you’re just ready with an umbrella when it does. And at your disposal, 24 hours a day, no matter what, is a failsafe explanation for every imaginable screw-up:

"It’s just Malaysia."

It’s random and chaotic, but it’s fair since no one’s exempt, and best of all, it doesn't contradict reality. If you understand to begin with that you’re living in an irrational world, times of irrationality are no longer problematic. "It’s just Malaysia" is a beautiful catch-all. It’s the gestalt of what could be making things happen so bizarrely.

One of my favorite students, Aiman, wrote me a goodbye card where he just made a lot of jokes and ended it with "It’s just a kidding." I think that’s a lot like the goodbye card Malaysia would send to me. All of this, this whole dream-like life, it was all just a kidding.

At the end of The Joke, which I read during my time here, one of the characters suffers a heart attack while playing with his band. The protagonist finishes off the book by saying that the heart attack victim will live, but it will be a quieter life, one without any of its old exuberance or exultation. There will be no ecstatic musical numbers anymore, he will just be alive and nothing more. That is my fear about leaving Asia. Everything that grated on me in my worst times will be what I'll miss the most. What kind of life will I have back in America where there signs are all in perfect English, the meals are all free of bones, and I can have any small comfort at any time? I’m afraid that in my leaving this unabashed insanity, I’m effectively neutering my life.

There are no answers for these fears. Malaysia was my family and, as my family, loved me-- sometimes too hard-- and occasionally drove me crazy. And my world is fuller for having known that love. And my world is emptier for leaving it behind.

As I write this I don’t know what it means to leave, since I still don’t know what it meant to be there, or why it happened. But of course, I already know why, the answer just doesn’t make any sense. It’s just Malaysia. It showed me the joy of a life without sense. It’s up to me to continue that without it.

And, really, that shouldn't be too hard. After all, it's all just a kidding.

Comments

that is how I thought of the last place I worked.. maybe you could get a job there.. if they haven't filed for bankruptcy yet..
Crankster said…
Ah, but Ezra. I will miss you and your posts very much. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures with our boonies in Terenggganu!

And yes, I forgive you for implying the entire country screws up on a regular basis. ;-)

Your life is going to be different once you've spurned insanity for routine. Hope you and Sarah had a good trip home.
Ezra Fox said…
Thank you, Crankshaft, I appreciate the forgiveness. I think that pretty much all places screw up on a regular basis, the great thing about Malaysia (and Terengganu for sure) is that the screw-ups were accounted for and regularly forgiven. I'll do my best to continue the insanity however possible.
Crankster said…
I'm sure you will, Ezra, but you can't top a pink wedding baju melayu, you know. :)
Ezra Fox said…
That's pretty true. My insanity might've peaked for awhile...
Annie Fox said…
As someone who will welcome you back, I promise to do my best to screw up in unprecedented ways at improbable times just so you can stay in step with the foggy side of life.

See you soon, Ez.
Joe said…
But Ezra, you're a writer! Do you honestly think your life will be without screw ups forever? As I remember it, American screw-ups are of the catastrophic, deargodwhy variety.
Anonymous said…
Ezra, probably if you have stayed in KL or Penang things will be different. We will not breathe down your necks coz' we've seen too much of foreigners here. Passerbys won't stop to ask where you come from. In Terengganu, it's a different world altogether. Lesser foreigners, lesser skyscrapers, lesser MNCs, lesser exposure, so the treatment will be different. You might suffocate due to the over-friendliness of the people there, but sometimes it's not a bad thing to be appreciated. At least they are sincere.

Yoon
*thoreau po-mo* said…
As always, Ezra, your entry is well-written and communicated the complicated feelings that go along with living fully in a place that was quite a bit different from our U.S. community.
I have always appreciated how you are able to be thoughtful about the places you inhabit as well as about the way you inhabit them. Thank you for writing with such authenticity. Several months ago when I started my blog, I realized that I am not gifted with expressing my immediate experiences in writing, but one day when I process all the strange and singular moments I had in Malaysia, I hope that I can say them half as eloquently as you.
I wish you the best, Ezra, in your writing endeavors. You've certainly earned all the ones you shared on this blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!