Home

On Wednesday, I came home.

The things of note that I ate:
Hot pastrami sandwich at Max's
The rest of the hot pastrami sandwich at home
Tortellini con pesto at Lococo's
Some kind of pizza and some garlic bread wedges, also at Lococo's
BBQ chicken tacos at Maya Restaurant
A sandwich
Chocolate truffle birthday cake
Another sandwich
Potatoes
Granola
Bagels (also in sandwich form)

Things that I have yet to eat:
A milkshake
A different kind of sandwich
Gnocchi

Pie
A burrito
Pancakes
Garlic bread

Things that I probably won't eat:
Curry
Fish

Things that I miss eating:
Bowls of noodle soup that I could drown myself in
Roti
Rice (but it shouldn't be too hard to find)

There's a lot to love about being home. The food is about 10 times better on the whole, so even though it's 5 times more expensive, I still come out ahead. Everything is ridiculously easy to do so far, since very few interactions involve money going to or coming from government bureaucrats. Everyone's English is really good here. I'm seriously impressed.

Plus, things that might've bothered me before don't really seem to matter now. Waiting an extra 30 minutes for my grad school orientation to start is no problem, since I still go everywhere with an iPod and a notebook. Having that orientation be useless is still par for the course, and is likewise pretty tolerable. Malaysia taught me that if you don't get bored easily and you're prepared to wait, you'll do alright in this world. So far, so good.

Also worth mentioning is that Home has now moved, and Sarah and I spent the last 48 hours setting up our new house in Davis, very close to where she'll be going to school, and very far from where I'll be going to school (it's about 70 miles to SFSU). The distance is justified in several ways:

1. I get to ride a train!
2. I only have class on Mondays and Tuesdays, and Davis is a pretty great place to live for the other 5 days a week.
3. We live next to a crepe shop.
4. Living in San Francisco after Terengganu would almost certainly make my head explode... actually, as an MFA student in creative writing an exploded head could stimulate some interesting prose. I'll put that point as a draw.

So you are now witnessing a transition. I will now break with the last 7 months of exploring the insanity of living abroad and spend the next 3 years exploring the insanity of getting a Master's of Fine Arts in Creative Writing... and debating the merits of having an exploded head.

Pro: Saves money on hats.

Comments

MFA in writing? you can make $ off that? (says the BFA)

I think the Banana hat could keep your brains in, for it is magical.
Anonymous said…
Yum! Good food choices.

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!