Routine


As I was writing to my friend Megan (aka The Fist) who's last known whereabouts were reported to be in Botswana I seem to be entering a new phase of my experience here. For lack of a better word I will call it the boring time. And maybe that's a little too harsh. To be fair it's more like the, "my life is not currently ruled by my fear of failure" time. Basically, it means that I've found a routine in which I can succeed reasonably well and don't need to make many decisions on a day-to-day basis.

The awesome part of this is that I've actually become pretty comfortable around here. The less awesome part is that since I've become more comfortable, I get the feeling that I'm not growing as much.

I won't say that my rapid personal growth spurt is over for good, but once you get comfortable it's hard to want to get back on the "everything is new and intimidating" train. Still, I think I'm starting to enjoy this time a whole bunch more. In fact I had my first encounter with chop suey today. It was... okay. But it seems to be a main staple of the Costa Rica Chinese cuisine scene, so it would've been a huge oversight to snub it.

Also, I was complemented on my English today! This middle-aged white guy came over while I was reading Descartes for my philosophy class so we talked about how we can't know anything. He told me to watch out for Descartes cuz he keeps trying to pull a fast one.

Anyway, I'm still going to count it as a win. Good language is good language, right?

Much love to you all. More to come later.


Addendum:
Yesterday I walked into the back of a car as it stopped in front of me and today I waited for 10 minutes in the wrong class room. So it's probably safe to say I don't have to worry about boring myself by figuring a routine anytime soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, not only a gorgeous sunset photo, but you're attacking cars! Way to go! No chance of things staying too boring...

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!