Happier Thoughts, Ezra

Oh Peter, can you teach me how to fly?

I get a phone call of a guy speaking in Malay. I didn't know how to say "wrong number" so I just managed to get out Malay for "I'm Ezra. I'm white." "Oh oh oh oh....... okay," said wrong-number man. Turns out he was one of my co-workers who I ran into a second later. But I like how great "I'm white" is an acceptable response to most problems that I've encountered here. It's not so much a get out of jail free card as it is a "get out of jail and get pigeon-holed with a different set of problems" card. But still, it's not always as big of a problem as you might think for people to see you as stupider and richer than you are.

I got a chance to pick up some food from the Tuesday night market and I finally got around to trying out a Ramly burger. I had read some good things about it, and it's supposed to be Malaysia's contribution to the burger world. I can't comment on the beef burger since for some reason I picked the chicken, but for the chicken... well, it was like most things that I've experienced in Malaysia, edible or otherwise: exuberant, kind of ridiculous, and tasting vaguely of fish.

On a related note, Sarah and I showed High School Musical 2 to her kids and I'm pretty sure they loved it for those same three reasons. It's such a strange contrast (even amid many, many strange contrasts) that there is this undeniable zest for life, as well as an equally strong zeal for the things that restrict these passions.

On yet another similar note, some of the ETAs have been in contact with the new ETAs and it's just bizarre to hear the unbridled excitement in their messages. It's depressing is what it is. It's like when a senior talks to a freshman and realizes they've become cold and jaded to the world. Or, to put it another way, that's how the senior realizes the world is an unstoppable chilling and jading force. Crap, I'm not doing a good job of convincing people I'm happy this week. Back to the light, Ezra, back to the light.

Uhn, in other news, I've had this ongoing battle with the mildewy stench in my rented moto helmet, and I'm pretty sure I've just lost. I made the mistake (twice) of leaving the helmet upside on my moto while it... uh... rains. Apparently, mildew loves being drowned in rain water. If you try to kill mildew by drowning it, it will not work. It's like throwing braer rabbit in the briar patch, or suffocating Mike with a KFC sandwich. It'll just make their day.

Speaking of things that make days, Sarah and I were gifted with a basket of fruit the other day. I realized that once I left this country, it'd be a long time until I got to eat fresh longan, rambutan, and mangosteen and I devoured the pulp out of 'em. In the case of fruit, I think it tastes best when it's free and unexpected.

So given that, there's a lot to be grateful for in this country. And since I have only 19 days left, I'm going to love as much of it as I can, exuberance and all.

Until next time, may all your your excuses be race-related, may all your mildew-battles be won, and may all your food taste only a little bit fishy.

Comments

hahahha mike.. sandwich.. hahahaha
Annie Fox said…
Good one, Ez!

Tell me, what happens when the mildew is in a forced embrace with your hair?

Hey, don't blame me for being somewhat indelicate... I'm white!

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!