34 Ways of Looking at a Dead Rat

"Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day."
- Nicolas de Chamfort

If you can't find any toads, just clean up a dead rat. Dead rat removal is now my least favorite thing I have done more than once.

While their dying might have been mildly more traumatic for the rats than for myself, their deaths are over whereas I have to deal with the memories of their corpses forever. FOR-EV-ER.

But I know why you're here. You want to know how to do it. As I have become the resident rat remover, you've come to the right place.

Here are my 34 easy steps to getting rid of a rat:

1. Notice that the house smells bad.
2. Ignore the smell.
3. Convince yourself that the smell is getting better. Maybe it wasn't a dead rat after all, you think.
4. See a lot of flies in parts of the house that were previously fly-free.
5. Ignore the flies.
6. Wake up one morning and realize that the smell is getting worse, the flies are getting worse, and you're the only one who can fix it.
7. Go back to sleep.
8. Wake up. Cry.
9. Put on clothes that already feel kind of dirty, that way wearing them in the basement won't ruin them.
10. Get a shovel.
11. Get an industrial-sized dust pan.
12. Get a paper bag. Make that two paper bags.
13. Realize that paper bags still have an opening at the top. An opening that an evil demon rat can spring out of and claw at your face.
14. Get a cardboard box, preferably the one that says "Farm Fresh to You" for maximum irony.
15. Go into the basement. Turn on the light. See a rat.
16. Gag.
17. Slowly realize that it isn't usually that easy to find the dead rat. Reach the conclusion that there might be more than one dead rat.
18. Turn slightly to your right. See another dead rat.
19. Curse your brilliant reasoning.
20. Start with the second rat. It's older, so it's dry and solid. Try to pick it up with the shovel.
21. Fail.
22. Use the shovel to scoop it onto the dustpan. Shakily slide it from the dustpan into the open "Farm Fresh" box.
23. Turn back to the first rat.
24. Swear.
25. Try to use the same shovel-dustpan technique and fail. This rat is still.. juicy. It doesn't pick up as easily.
26. Gag.
27. Swear.
28. Using the shovel, the dustpan, and a now unusable rag that the rat died against, somehow get the rat balanced onto the edge of of the shovel and dump the body into the "Farm Fresh" box ontop of the other rat.
29. Ignore the wet spot where the rat used to be.
30. Fold up the box, place it on the dust pan and carry it out to the garbage can.
31. Almost get the box into the garbage. Drop the box on the ground.
32. Scream "Oh, come on!" thus startling the small children walking by.
33. Ignore the rat tail poking out of the box. Dump it in the garbage. Mentally apologize to the garbage men.
34. Go inside. Sit on the couch. Watch a Bravo reality show. Feel dirty. Shake.

Comments

Lindsay Meisel said…
I feel for you, but have you ever come home to find a dismembered rat flung across your pillow and sheets, everything bloody and disgusting and to top it all off a tiny little rat turd, emitted, I imagine, in the rat's terrifying final moments?

Try cleaning that up.
Forrest said…
Maybe you wouldn't feel so dirty if you didn't watch bravo reality shows. Also, when is the next season of top chef? These withdrawls are getting ridiculous.
Unknown said…
When my rat died my dad put it in a paper bag and then put it in the freezer for many months. I assume it got thrown away at some point after that. Pretty much, you should have called me for rat disposal advice.
Fayette Fox said…
Oh my god, I'm crying with laughter, Ez. Painful. Brilliant. So horrible. Thank you. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. You rock my world.
Annie Fox said…
Sorry to be this late to the party! Woah, funny stuff! I'm still laughing as I hear you publicly lament "Oh, come on!"

Farm Fresh! :O)))
David Fox said…
Finally read this (catching up on all the blogs I missed). Hilarious, but only because I've been there! Rats caught in traps... But by far, the worst experience was cleaning out half a dozen dead baby raccoons from the crawl space near the front door... all juicy, all maggot infested, and the odor! Had to use a pole to slide them towards me.

Ended up putting them inside a bag inside a bag inside a bag inside a bag. And it still stank (or maybe that was me?).

Yay for the Humane Society, who gladly accepted my gift (I couldn't leave it for the garbage collectors).

Smell went away about a week later.
Ezra Fox said…
Man, the Humane Society's hard up for donations...

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!