Super Punch

Today I came to my desk to find that my chair was missing. When one of the other teachers saw that it was missing and that some students were using it he offered to "super punch" them for me. I was pretty tempted, but I figured I'd save the super punches for for the real criminals, like the ones my mother warned me about.

Other things of note: a few days ago I was given some "fermented taro root" to try. While it was very tasty, it was also decidely alcoholic in flavor. It's not a big deal for me, but I was surprised that it could fly for the Muslims that offered me some. These were not deviants either. These were the kind of people Super Pious Man would be proud to hang out with. But if I were to doubt the potency of the root, they told me that it could not be taken with medicine. So yeah. That was weird.

Also bizarre, in so much as that no one notices it or cares, was the brand of tissues that are featured at the school's cafe. They're called "Loving," and their moto is "Virgin Pulp." If it was a school anywhere it would be weird. If it were any school in Malaysia it would be strange as well. But the fact that it's a religious school and a very consevrative part of the country... ah, priceless.

On the same note, every single class room has this same desk calendar with shots of pretty landscapes from America and inspirational quotes. I just bothered to read what the quotes say the other day and of course they're all bible quotes. Once again, that kind of calendar wouldn't fly in any (non-Catholic) school, and the fact that it's a school where kids memorize the Holy Koran for 2 hours a day... there are no words.

I just asked my students to write a list of things they wanted to do before they died. One kid wrote:

I want to apologize to my parents and friends.
I want to get married.
I want to blow out the Sun.

Lastly, I know it was a long time coming, but here are the photos from my trip with Sarah to see Fay and Peter in Vietnam.

Enjoy.









Nam Album 1









Nam Album 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!