Kuala Terengganu: Motos, roti, and babies

Short track: (May or may not appear in the long track)

1. I learned how to ride a moto.
2. I ate a dozen roti Chennai.
3. I went to the Mosque to take pictures.
4. I learned something about my placement
5. Went to Chinatown in KL
6. I'm wearing Thai Fisherman Pants
7. I ate some crazy fruits.

Long track: (May or may not be based on the short track)

So, I'm not in Kuala Lumpur anymore. I'm now in Kuala Terengganu. Since Kuala seems to be in the names of all the major cities, I'm going to translate it roughly as: "Awesome collection of buildings and people of." So I'm now in the Awesome Collection of Buildings and People of Terengganu. I can't really remember everything I've done since the last post, so I'll just recap the food.

Roti Chennai. If you follow Sarah's blog as closely as I do, you might already know about this wonderbread. I think what made it so special is that I stumbled upon the guy making the bread at a very hungry point in the day. We were still in KL and I had decided to wander further from the hotel than I had before and it was the first time I had been on my own. First, I tried to explain the concept of snack to a shopkeep at a Chinese food store and was told to buy something that looked like rice crispy treats, but with cornflakes. It claimed to be famous in Southeast Asia which seems like a suspicious selling point. Would we ever say that Brad Pitt is famous in America while still in America? Who exactly were they trying to convince with this famous thing, anway? But I digress. After the corn flake treats (which contained 4.5 grams of moisture and .5 grams of ash per serving) I saw the man from the video whipping dough around like nobody's business. It was epic and I ate at the restaurant a total of 4 times over 2 days, all for that bread. I also bought a can of waterchestnut beverage, which boasted the admirable catch-phrase "with chunky bits." It was pretty much what you'd expect from all the information I've given you about it, but maybe a little sweeter.

Other notable foods:
You know those little fish that are fried and dried? They're pretty much all salt and crunch.

Notable deed that's not edible:
I learned how to ride a moto (a cross between a scooter and a motorcycle) and it's awesome. This might be the first and only time I've ever used the word awesome accurately. For those of you worried about my safety, it's really not too bad. I didn't take it higher than 2nd gear and I was wearing an excellent helmet.

Tomorrow we begin the actual orientation (a funny word since it means "to face the East," a direction I'm already solidly in) for the ETAs. Over the next few weeks I will learn to teach English, speak Malay, or fake my way through both. Wish me luck.

Much love,
Ez

PS My friend Jackie can appear pregnant on demand. Here she is, expecting, with Sarah and Ellie. I'm mainly putting the picture up because she said she'd read the blog and I'm calling her bluff.

Comments

David Fox said…
Wow, that breadmaking video is awesome! Maybe not as awesome as riding a moto... But hey...
Anonymous said…
"...as long as they are seeking, their pleasure will always be a little hollow, for their desires can never be fully quenched, even by gentle breezes."
-most ernlightening thing I've read all day, gold star for Ezra!
Anonymous said…
Chunky bits! Mmmm. Sounds like a very culinary adventure you've been having.

Why did I forget to ask to be smuggled over in your luggage? It sounds like a helluva lot more interesting over there than Elmira and Boston!

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!