Mexico Day 4: Jungapeo/Zitacuaro

Things worth noting: we had a meeting with an MFI operating in Zitacuaro, the "big city" right next to Jungapeo. It was just a preliminary meeting, so hopefully we'll get a follow-up to find out more about the wonder that is microloans. Basically the meeting consisted of:

Sarah: Question?
Woman: Sorry, I can't answer that until I get permission.
Sarah: Oh, okay. Other question?
Woman: Yeah, can't answer that either.
Sarah: Request to record a short video of you saying it's important to help poor women?
Woman: Yeah, there's no way that's going to happen.
Ezra: Well, we're out of questions then.
Woman: Damn right you are.

Fin

She said she might be able to talk to us more later, but I'm not really holding my breath. Strange that it would be so bureaucratic, but that's how it is sometimes. I can't really blame her I guess. It just wasn't the warm gringo reception I had hoped for. Perhaps my sense of self importance needed a slight reality check.

Other things worth noting: Sarah and I are enjoying the many things a bigger city has to offer, such as faster internet cafés, hustle and bustle in copious amounts, and police officers in uniforms instead of the more alarming army fatigues. It's a wonderland over here. We also made the purchase of a pair of computer speakers for our host family's computer. Theirs broke, and we've been looking for ways to pay them back, since it's been nigh impossible to compensate them monetarily.

Last but not least, the Mexican political process is awesome. As far as I can tell, it consists of driving hours to get to broken down elementary schools in the mountains and making speeches. What really makes it special though, is that every few sentences a group of women will interrupt the speaker with a cheer, culminating with noise makers. When these quiet down the speaker is allowed to continue stumping, soapboxing, filibustering, or relieving his lungs of an excess of hot air. It's pretty great.

Hope everything is good wherever you are. I assure you, it's not as great as here.

Best,
Ezra

Red Scissors Alliance Coolguy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Engage!