Good news!

I'm home. For me that has meant flipping between thinking everything is normal and being weirded-out that everything is so normal. Truly bizarre. But despite everyone speaking English, the abundance of fat white people, and the conspicuous absence cheap public buses and taxis that go everywhere (driving? So odd.), you get used to it.

I do miss my gringo-cool that I finally perfected. I was talking with a stranger who told me about his friend who went to China. He said that what emerged were these two different selves. The new Chinese self was bumbling and kind of dim and that's what he left behind when he left the country and went back to being a local. So maybe I miss my Costa Rican self. Sure he got lost and sunburned a lot, and he made a whole bunch of mistakes, but he was eager to learn and fail. He tried his best, and to be honest, I'm not sure if my American self always does that. I don't think he died, I just think he stayed in Costa Rica. So maybe if I go back I'll meet up with him again and find out how he's doing.

Feels a bit like I'm just biding my time til I go back to school and the real stuff begins. I definitely am back now, but it still feels like a holding patern. Not enough time to do anything. Which is pretty much what I felt before leaving for Costa Rica. I've been noticing a lot of nice symetry as to how everything seems to be working here. It really is impressive that my shock coming home should mirror my shock leaving home.

Anyhoo, if anyone still reads this thing, let me know how you're doing. I never get tired of connecting with good people.
Cheers,
Ezra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nihilism

My Old Name

Dear Ezra, It's Just a Kidding. Love, Malaysia